Lessons 6-8 Learn to talk about your parents
To play the piano
I say, …
Where is your… now? Wow!
What does your… do? How interesting!
1. Look and say where the parents work.
Example: The girl’s mum works in the hospital.
2. Listen and repeat.
DIDDLE DIDDLE DUMPLING
Diddle diddle dumpling.
My son John
Goes to bed with his stockings on,
One shoe off,
The other shoe on.
Diddle diddle dumpling My son John.
/Λ/ – son, one, dumpling
/a/ – John, on, off, stockings
3. Look, match and say who works where.
E x a m p l es: Doctors can work in hospitals.
4. Listen and role-pay.
ABOUT JOHN’S PARENTS
He/she works in the hospital.
Susan: I say, John, where is your mum now?
John: She is in the hospital.
Susan: Is she ill?
John: No, she isn’t. She works there. She is a doctor.
Susan: Wow! And what does your dad do?
John: He is a musician. He works in the music hall.
Susan: How interesting!
5. Talk with a friend about your parents. Use the pattern:
On your own: Take your parents’
photos and write what they do and where they work.
This is my mum.
She is a manager.
She works in an office.
6. Look and guess.
1) What kind of doctor John’s mum is;
2) What musical instrument John’s dad plays.
Example: I think John’s mum is a… .
7. Read and say what Susan likes about John’s parents.
My friend, John Brown has got a very nice family. I like his parents a lot. They are kind and jolly people. His dad, Mr. Brown, is a talented musician. He works in the music hall. He plays the piano very well. I adore his music and often go to his concerts.
Mrs Brown is John’s mother. She is a famous eye doctor. She works at St Mary’s Hospital in London. When I am ill, she helps me to get well.
The Browns are very friendly. I like to visit them at weekends.
8. Answer the questions about John’s parents.
1. Are the Browns nice people?
2. Does John’s dad play the piano or the guitar?
3. Where can Susan listen to his music?
4. John’s mum is an eye doctor, isn’t she?
5. How does she help Susan?
9. Talk with friends about your parents. Use:
My parents are… . My mum is… . She works in She can… . My dad is… . He works in… . He can.
10. Write about your parents in your family album.
Do it yourself! Make the parents’ page for your family album.