UNIT 4. NATIONAL CUISINE
Цілі: формувати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; удосконалювати навички читання, аудіювання й усного монологічного мовлення; розвивати пізнавальні інтереси учнів; виховувати правильне ставлення до їжі, а також загальну культуру учнів.
Do ex. 1, p. 61.
Do ex. 2, p. 61.
Do ex. 3, 4, p. 61.
4. Reading and speaking
Read the recipe and say:
1) Have you ever cooked the first courses?
2) Did you like this experience?
3) What foods are used for this Chicken soup?
4) What vegetables do you usually put in your soup?
5) How long does it take to prepare the Chicken Soup?
6) How long do you usually make such soup?
7) What actions do you usually do while preparing your soup?
1 Hr 45 Min
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 2 skinless chicken leg quarters
– 1/2 cup chopped onion
– 2 quarts water
– 3 cubes chicken bouillon, crumbled
– 1 stalk celery, chopped
– 3 carrots, chopped
– 1 clove roasted garlic, minced
– 1 (12 ounce) package thin egg noodles
In a large pot over medium heat, cook chicken pieces in oil until browned on both sides. Stir in onion and cook 2 minutes more. Pour in water and chicken bouillon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
Stir in celery, carrots, garlic, s>
Listen to the text and do the task.
One of the yummiest holidays of the year must be National Ice Cream Day. It takes place in the USA on the third Sunday of July every year. It celebrates one of the world’s best-loved desserts. It started in 1984 when famous ice cream lover President Ronald Reagan announced July as the National Ice Cream Month. It was certainly a good month to choose, being in the middle of summer. But even in winter, ice cream still tastes delicious. It’s fitting that the USA has a national day to celebrate their favourite sweet. Americans eat more ice cream...
than anyone else in the world. It is probably the national dessert, along with apple pie. On this day, people will have fun making homemade ice cream and having ice cream parties.
Makers say ice cream is nutritious and good for us. There is a lot of sugar and calories in it, but otherwise, it’s quite good for you. It’s made of milk and has other vitamins and minerals. Ice cream is different in many countries around the world. Italians are very proud of their gelato, while Indians believe their kulfi is the tastiest. The history of ice cream is a little unclear. Historians say it arrived in Europe from China hundreds of years ago. The French and Italians designed flavoured milk ices, which made their way across the Atlantic. This is when it became known as “ice cream”. The first ice cream parlor in America, opened in New York City in 1776. It is now a $3 billion industry in the USA alone.
Match the following phrases from the article.
1) One of the yummiest
A) month to choose
2) one of the world’s best
B) national dessert
3) It was certainly a good
C) their favourite sweet
4) a national day to celebrate
D) holidays of the year
5) Americans eat more ice cream
E) loved desserts
6) It is probably the
F) than anyone else
Ice cream is nutritious
Of their gelato
It’s made of milk and
In the USA alone
Italians are very proud
And good for us
Indians believe their kulfi
As “ice cream”
This is when it became known
Has other vitamins
It is now a $3 billion industry
Is the tastiest
6. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 5, p. 62.
1) What is the food you like about your country?
2) What is the last meal you cooked for someone else?
3) Does your family have any special recipes that are passed down from generation to generation?
Write a short paragraph about your favourite food.
Why do you like it? Is it he>