Цілі: вдосконалювати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; навички аудіювання, усного мовлення й письма; розвивати мовну здогадку; виховувати зацікавленість у позашкільній діяльності.
Here is a list of activities which are offered in an American school. Predict how the students participate in these clubs, what they do there.
– I think the students who participate in Philatelia Club collect stamps, swap them and learn something new different countries, outstanding events and famous people.
– In my opinion, the students who participate in JETS Club make airplane models and hold competitions among the club members.
WEEK I CLUBS
WEEK II CLUBS
Information Technology II
Information Technology I
Speech and Debate
The Chef and Homemakers
Youth against AIDS
2. Vocabulary practice
Do ex. 1, p. 22.
Work in pairs
the dialogue, make your own ones and practise the words from ex. 1, p. 10 and ex. 1, p. 22 in them.
– Are you going home after school?
– No. I have… (singing practice) in the… (school choir).
– Let’s… (ride bikes) a bit later then.
– Yes, sure. I’d love to.
Write some sentences what activities you, your friend and American students have after school.
– After school I participate in Drama Group where we perform different plays.
– My friend participates in Film Club where he shoots films.
– Some American students participate in Star Gazers Club where they study stars, planets and our Earth.
5.Listening and speaking
Tom’s school has got a lot of extra-school activities. Look at the timetable and listen to the text and say which activities Tom has, in your opinion.
Table tennis, cricket, swimming pool
Spanish club, choir, cooking club
Orchestra, basketball, school theatre
Film club, design, swimming pool
Football, orient dancing, fashion shows
Disco, choir, school theatre
Tom. I like a lot of things. Most of all I enjoy sports but only team games. I am fond of singing and listening to music. I can’t play any musical instrument but I would like to learn. Our school often holds different performances and I like to take part in them. I like dancing too but only break dancing. I also love drawing and learning languages.
Example: I think that on Friday Tom plays football (because he likes team games), but he doesn’t have orient dancing (because he likes break dancing).
Do ex. 2, p. 23.
7. Speaking and writing
Do ex. 3, p. 23.
Complete the following sentences.
1. Someone who drives a car is a… .
2. Someone who translates is a… .
3. Someone who builds is a… .
4. Someone who teaches is a… .
5. Someone who dances is a… .
6. Someone who sails is a… .
7. Someone who bakes is a… .
8. Someone who makes shoes is a… .
9. Someone who creates computer programmes is a… .
10. Someone who designs is a… .
11. Someone who gives lectures is a… .
12. Someone who presents news on TV is a… .
13. Someone who reads books is a… .
14. Someone who writes books is a… .
What extra-school activities did you have during the last school year?
Write a short paragraph about your after school activities.
Start like this:
– I like… most of all, so I participate in… We…