UNIT 7. THE WORLD OF PAINTING
ART IN OUR LIFE
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички усного мовлення й читання; розвивати культуру спілкування й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати естетичний смак і загальну культуру учнів.
1) What is art?
2) What do you know about pictorial movements? Name some of them.
3) What time were they developing?
4) What art form do you like best? Why?
5) What would life be like without art?
> Do the quiz.
1) Who painted ‘The Scream’ (the famous painting of a man screaming the sun set as red as blood behind him.)?
A) Oskar Kokoschka
B) Marc Chagall
C) Egon Schiele
D) Edvard Munch
2) Which famous twentieth century artist painted “100 Cans”
A) Andy Warhol
B) Roy Lichtenstein
C) Piet Mondrian
D) Jeff Koons
3) What is Pablo Picasso’s style of artwork called?
4) With which 20th century art movement were Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte, and Andre Breton associated?
5) How many paintings did Van Gogh sell in his lifetime?
A) One hundred
6) This is the combination of pieces of cloth, magazines and other found objects to create artwork. What is it called?
B) Found Art
7) Which type of paint dries the most quickly?
8) How long did Leonardo da Vinci spend painting the Mona Lisa’s lips?
A) 8 months
B) 12 years
C) 10 weeks
D) 2 years
9) When and where was the first pencil invented?
France in the 1300s AD
B) China in 800 AD
C) England in the 1500s AD
D) Eygpt in 500 BC
Key: 1 d; 2 a; 3 b; 4 a; 5 d; 6 a; 7 a Acrylic paints are touch-dry in minutes, and fully dry in a week or two (Oil paints are touch-dry in 2-7 days, depending on thickness and climate, and fully dry in 6 months to 2 years.); 8 b; 9 c England in 1565.
> Work in pairs.
Cut out and shuffle the parts of the two biographies. Students in pairs have to sort out the cards to make the biographies complete.
Salvador Dali was born in Spain in 1904. When he was a child, he
Showed strange behavior and often interrupted his class in school. As he got older,
He started to paint pictures that came from his dreams.
His dreams and his paintings were scary and unreal. Dali
Went to art school in Madrid, Spain. He got kicked out,
And never finished. He even spent time in jail. However, he continued to paint,
And his art style became known as Surrealism. Salvador Dali drew everyday items,
But changed them in odd ways. For example, one of his paintings is of melting clocks. Before he died
At the age of 85 in 1989, Dali had created works in film, ballet, opera, fashion,
Jewelry, and advertising illustrations.
LEONARDO DA VINCI
In 1452, Leonardo Da Vinci was born in an Italian town called Vinci. He
Lived in a time period called the Renaissance, when
Everyone was interested in art. Even though Da Vinci was a great artist, he
Became famous because of all the other things he could do. He
Was a sculptor, a scientist, an inventor, an architect, a musician,
And a mathematician. When he was twenty, he
Helped his teacher finish a painting called The Baptism of Christ. When
He was thirty, he moved to Milan. That
Is where he painted most of his pictures. DaVinci’s
Paintings were done in the Realist style.
Do ex. 6, p. 125.
In groups discuss the following quotes briefly and express your opinions as for them.
1) There is no must in art because art is free. (Wassily Kandinsky)
2) We all know that art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth. (Pablo Picasso)
3) A man paints with his brains and not with his hands. (Michelangelo)
Take any of the statements from ex. 6, p. 125 and write a short essay on it.