UNIT 2. CHOOSE THE CAREER!
Цілі: формувати лексичні навички й навички вимови; вдосконалювати навички читання й усного мовлення; розвивати мовну здогадку й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
> Occupations: What is my job?
I work in an office. I type letters and answer the phone.
I go to court and defend people’s rights.
I work in a hospital and take care of sick people.
I work in a school and help people learn.
You pay me when you buy something at the store.
I take care of sick animals.
I put out fires.
I wear a uniform and a badge. I help keep your neighborhood safe.
I help keep your teeth clean.
I deliver letters
and packages to your home.
Key: secretary, lawyer, doctor or nurse, teacher, clerk or salesperson, vet, firefighter, police officer, dentist, mailman.
Do ex. 1, p. 20.
Do ex. 2, p. 20.
> Practise the new vocabulary.
Fill in the gaps with the new words on p. 20.
1) Her jealousy is one of her worst ____.
2) Most house plants ____ regular watering.
3) You don’t ____ much money being a nurse.
4) An ambitious young man ____ high-paid job.
5) The job that gave him ____ experience has been lost.
6) The project is designed to ____ young people with work.
7) The ability to speak a foreign language is highly __ .
8) He’s got a lot of ____ in many areas of the music business.
9) It is __ that our pilots are given the best possible training.
10) The ____ were very helpful.
11) There are quite a lot of jobs that require technical qualifications.
12) He spoke in __ Italian.
Do ex. 3, p. 22.
6. Speaking and writing
Work in groups
BENEFITS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
A benefit is something you receive from a job.
A qualification is something you need to do a job.
Look at the following list of vocabulary items. Are they benefits of a job or qualifications for a job? You may add some items of your own.
_____________________ work experience
_____________________ medical insurance
_____________________ bachelor / masters / doctor degree
_____________________ being well-spoken
_____________________ being hardworking
_____________________ discount on goods
_____________________ training courses
_____________________ dental insurance
_____________________ report card / transcript
_____________________ neat appearance / dress
Decide what the most important qualifications and benefits are?
Most Important Benefits
Most Important Qualifications
Do ex. 5, p. 22.
Ex. 4, p. 22.