UNIT 6. AROUND THE WORLD
HOME READING. THE USA (P. 159)
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички читання, усного мовлення, уживання в мовленні граматичних структур і лексичних одиниць із теми, удосконалювати навички вимови; розвивати вміння послідовно висловлюватися іноземною мовою; розвивати мовну здогадку; виховувати інтерес до іноземної мови, подорожування.
1. Warm-up Work in pairs.
Look at the table and say what languages these people can speak. Example
A. Can Ali speak German?
B. Yes, he can.
A. Can he speak French?
B. I don’t know.
Listen to the text and do the task.
The White House
The White House in an important part of Washington, D. C. It is where the president lives and works. George Washington is the only American president who did not live there.
John Adams was the first president to live in the White House. He and his family moved into the house in 1800.
The White House has 132 rooms. Visitors may tour some of the first – floor room, Second floor is “home” for the president and his family. The White House has many special rooms. It even has a private bowling alley and a movie theatre.
True or False
1) George Washington was the first president to live in the White House.
2) The American president only works in the White House.
3) John Adams was the first to move into the White House.
4) The president and his family live on the first floor.
5) There are 132 rooms in the White House.
6) Visitors can tour all of the rooms in the White House.
7) The White house is located in the state of Washington.
Practise the pronunciation of the proper names
The United States of America the USA
The Mississippi-Missouri River New York
Los Angeles Chicago
Rhode Island Delaware
Then look at the map and say where they are situated.
Complete the information.
Different rich far away small big
1) The USA has five time zones because it’s very ____.
2) The USA produces quite a lot of different things so it’s very ____.
3) Some eastern states are very ____.
4) You can’t get Alaska very quickly because it’s very ____.
5) People from all over the world come to the USA so they speak ____ languages.
Answer the questions.
1) Where is the USA situated?
2) Is it a big country?
3) What is the longest river in the USA?
4) What things do the USA produce?
5) What is the population of the USA?
6) What are the largest cities in the USA?
7) How many states are there in the USA?
8) Has each state got its own government and its own capital?
9) What is the capital of the USA?
10) Is it situated in one of the states?
11) What is the federal district where the capital is situated called?
12) Where does the American president live?
13) How many stars and stripes are there on the American flag?
14) How many were there original states which got their independence?
15) When did it happen?
1) What names do you remember at once when you hear “the USA”?
2) How can you get to the USA?
3) Do you know any interesting facts about this country?
4) Which places of interest would you like to visit in the USA?
Make a project (p. 107).