On your own: Draw your autumn clothes and say which of them have “grown smaller”.
Example: This is a picture of my raincoat. I wore it on rainy days back in autumn. It has “grown smaller” since then. The sleeves are too short. It means I have grown bigger.
6. Look and guess what the weather is like in England in autumn (p. p. 131-132).
Example: I think the weather is… in England in autumn.
7. Read and say if Helen dresses well in autumn.
THINGS TO WEAR IN AUTUMN
I am an English girl. My name is Helen. I am eight. I live in a small but friendly family.
I have got my mum, dad, and a little brother. My brother and I spend a lot of time outdoors.
We always listen with interest to the weather forecast for the next day. Then my parents tell us how to dress well in warm or cold weather.
It is especially important to know what the day will be like in autumn. The weather changes very often in this season. They say September is mild, October is gold, but November is cold. So my brother and I need a lot of different clothes: a jacket for a chilly1 day, a raincoat and a pair of wellington boots to wear if it rains, a coat, a woollen hat and a scarf for colder weather.
1 chilly – прохолодний
My favourite autumn clothes are my red jacket and a long scarf. I want to wear them in spring, too. I have just tried them on. Oh my! The sleeves1 are too short! I have grown taller and bigger, haven’t I? That means that my brother is going to wear my jacket soon.
8. True or False?
1. Helen has got a little sister.
2. It is a tradition with Helen’s family to listen to the weather forecast.
3. Helen has different clothes for different types of weather.
4. The girl likes to wear a blue jacket in autumn.
5. Her jacket is not big enough for her now.
9. Talk with friends about your autumn clothes. Use:
I spend… in autumn. My… always listens to… . Then she/he tells me how… . The weather changes… . So I need… . My favourite autumn clothes are… . I want to wear… .
10. Write the weather forecast for an October day.
It is going to be a… day. It will… in the morning.
The afternoon will be… . Maybe, the weather will… in the evening.
Do it yourself! Draw the clothes to wear on an October day.
1 sleeves – рукава
Безсполучникове речення з нерівноправними частинами приклади.