Unit 3. A SOUND MIND IN A SOUND BODY
Lesson 1. Sport from A to Z
Ex. 1, p. 92-93
Ex. 3, p. 93
Play: rugby, cricket, soccer, basketball, tennis, volleyball.
Go: rowing, cycling, skiing, horse riding, sailing, swimming, running.
Do: boxing, karate, judo, high jump, gymnastics, athletics, wrestling.
Ex. 1, p. 93
1. The Olympic games take place every 4 years.
2. The best sportsmen from all countries can take part in the Olympic Games.
3. The motto of the Olympic Games is SWIFTER, HIGHER, STRONGER.
Ex. 4, p. 97
1. every 4 years
2. white, blue, yellow, green, red, black
3. mascot is a character that represents the country where the
Olympic games take place. It is usually an animal
4. for 2 to 3 weeks
5. to take part
6. the summer Olympic games are older than the Winter Olympic Games.
7. before the opening ceremony
8. for disabled people
Ex. 3, p. 99
1. aren’t you?
2. haven’t you?
3. isn’t it?
4. haven’t you?
5. doesn’t it?
6. didn’t you?
Ex. 3, p. 99
1. are they?
2. will you?
3. is it?
4. would you?
5. do they?
6. have they?
7. does he?
8. should they?
9. did you?
10. can they?
Ex. 5 (a), p. 100
1. Paul has got a cat, hasn’t he?
2. Jerry and Tim like football, don’t they?
3. She goes swimming every day, doesn’t she?
4. You were here at home too, weren’t you?
5. She was painting her room all weekend, wasn’t she.
Ex. 5 (b), p. 100
1. You didn’t see that film yesterday, did you?
2. Most people here didn’t speak English did they?
Henry hasn’t got a good mark, has he?
4. We didn’t go out tomorrow, did we?
5. There wasn’t a shop in this street, was it?
Ex. 6, p. 103
Ex. 7 (a), p. 104
1. They are watching a water polo match.
2. Yes, they are cheering.
3. Yes, Brian is Playing well.
4. For the beginning.
5. The other team is shooting the pen>
6. Because she knows nothing about water polo.
Ex. 7(b), p. 104
1. F (l watch…)
5. F (sometimes bites)
6. F (is daydreaming)
Ex. 2, p. 107
There was an exciting football match yesterday. I saw it with my friends at the stadium. Great! The participants showed a brilliant game.
The spectators were cheering loudly.
The score was 2-1. Our team has won.
We all were happy.
I think it was one of the most exciting – matches I have ever seen. Hope to hear from you soon.
Best wishes Mike.
Ex. 2, p. 107
Among all the sportsmen in the world I like Klitschko brothers most of all. Vitali Klitschko (born 19 July 1971) and Wladimir Klitschko (born 25 March 1976), collectively known as ehe Klitschko brothers are Ukrainian heavyweight boxers.
They live in Germany and in Ukraine, where they are media stars. Both brothers made their professional debut on November 6, 1996 in Hamburg. Since then both have been heavyweight world champions in boxing. They have stated they will never fight each other. After a series of injuries, Vitali had a career break of almost four years. In his comeback fight in Berlin on October 11, 2008 he defeated Samuel Peter to regain the title of WBC world heavyweight champion. At that time Wladimir was already world heavyweight champion with the. That was the first time in history with two brothers world champions at the same time.
The Klitschko brothers appear together on German TV shows and commercials, have a common website klitschko. com and support each other’s training and fights. Now they have a combined professional boxing record of 101 wins and 5 defeats.