Unit 6 HOLIDAYS AND TRADITIONS
The Present Continuous Tense
Утворення: am/is/are +ing
Допоміжні дієслова: am, is, are
Write – writing sit – sitting
Walk – walking lie – lying
1. Read and compare.
At the moment of speaking
Tom gets up at 7 o’clock every day.
It’s 7 o’clock now. But Tom is not getting up. He is sleeping.
Tom usually is at school at 11 o’clock in the morning.
It’s 11 o’clock now. But Tom is not at school. He is playing football with his friends.
As a rule, Tom does his homework at 5 o’clock in the afternoon.
It’s 5 o’clock now. But Tom is not doing his homework. He is watching TV. But why?
– Because it’s Sunday.
2. Make up five sentences using the table. Write them down in your exercise book.
In the pool
In the park
In a big city
A new cottage
At the moment.
3. Listen, read and remember the words.
The Lunar calendar
The full Moon
The Orthodox Church
The Greek Catholic Church
To celebrate Easter
Read the clues and put the letters in order to form the word combinations. Make up sentences with these word combinations.
They use the Julian calendar.
Thorodox and ekgre
Easter is celebrated according to it.
A belief, custom or way of doing something that has existed for a long time.
The object that shines in the sky at night.
5. Skim through the first part of the text “Easter”. Then complete the sentences with the information from the first part of the text “Easter”.
1. Easter is… .
2. Easter is celebrated on the first… .
3. … use the Julian calendar.
4. Easter in Ukraine is on… .
6. Write five-six questions to each sentence.
Example: They go to school every day.
1. Do they go to school every day?
2. Do they go to school or to the institute every day?
3. Where do they go every day?
4. When do they go to school?
5. Who goes to school every day?
6. They go to school every day, don’t they?
1. I played tennis yesterday.
2. l am writing a letter now.
3. He cleans his room every day.
4. We have already come.
5. She can meet them tomorrow.
6. I helped my grandparents in the garden last Saturday.
7. They have already read that book.
8. You must do your homework every day.
7. Think and tell what you already know about the dates of celebrating Easter.