Цілі: формувати навички вживання too/enough; вдосконалювати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; навички аудіювання, усного мовлення й читання; розвивати мовну здогадку; виховувати правильне ставлення до користування сучасними технологіями.
Answer the questions.
1. What sources of information do you know?
2. What possibilities can we have with the help of mass media?
3. What is the fastest source of information?
4. Do you like reading newspapers?
5. Have you got a favourite radio/TV programme?
6. Do you prefer to watch films on TV or on your computer?
Listen to the text and do the task.
WHAT TV DOES TO CHILDREN
Many years ago scientists and doctors began serious
study of the influence of television on children and young people. And now they say that after parents television has the greatest influence on children today.
Of course, watching TV has its good and bad sides. From TV children get information about the world, they learn new words and begin to use them in their speech.
But TV also influences the development of a child in a negative way. When children spend all day in front of TV sets they cannot usually find time to read, to play games outside, to talk to their parents and friends.
Some teachers say that children who watch TV every day talk too much at school at the lessons. They can’t talk at home while watching TV and so they began to talk at school.
TV influences the creative abilities of pupils. Pupils who watch TV a lot can’t understand an easy story without pictures, tables and illustrations.
Television usually makes children passive. When a child watches TV he lives the lives of TV heroes, he travels with them, does everything with them. But he is not doing anything he is just sitting in an armchair and watching TV.
a child watches TV, everything seems very easy to him. And real life begins to seem very easy. He cannot work hard, because watching TV does not need hard work.
Say if the following statements true or false.
1. TV has only positive influence.
2. Children may learn everything from TV.
3. While watching TV children have no time for anything else.
4. Teachers believe that pupils talk too much at the lessons because of TV.
5. TV improves the creative abilities of pupils.
6. Children who watch TV a lot are very active.
7. Because of TV real life seems to children very easy.
3. Vocabulary practice
Practice the new words (p. 26) and give Ukrainian equivalents to them.
Complete the sentences.
1. He was really… his exam results.
2. Wireless… has a lot of advantages nowadays.
3. I… telling you, but you don’t listen to met
4. … your favorite songs by clicking here.
5. My parents take care of ray he>
6. Teachers usually post the exam results on the notice board.
7. I need more… .
8. It’s too… for the kids to play in the street.
9. Don’t worry! It’s a… journey.
10. … is the study of people in society.
Key: 1 upset about; 2 networking; 3 keep; 4 Download; 5 safety; 6 post; 7 information; 8 dangerous; 9 safe; 10 Social science.
Do ex. 1, 2, p. 26.
5. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 3, 4, p. 27.
6. Grammar practice
Study the rule (p. 28). Here are some examples for practice and translation.
He’s too angry about that incident.
He is too old to play football with the kids.
It’s too hot to wear that coat.
I was driving too fast.
Can Sally go to the party? No, she can’t. She is too tired.
I can’t buy this dress, it’s too expensive.
The bag was too heavy to carry it.
I put a scarf on because it was too cold. He speaks too quickly to understand him
Peter drove slowly enough for us to look at all the houses.
The students studied carefully enough to do well on the exam.
He’s rich enough to help us all.
I don’t think they are smart enough to take that class.
You’re not working fast enough.
We’re not walking quickly enough.
This room isn’t for all the guests;
We’ll have to get a bigger one.
He isn’t old enough to watch this program
Fill in the correct word (too or enough).
1. I left the coffee for a minute to cool because it was… hot to drink.
2. He wasn’t strong… to lift that heavy box.
3. It is… difficult to do for a little child.
4. I didn’t buy the car because it was… expensive.
5. He didn’t work hard… to pass the exam.
6. The photograph didn’t come out because it was… dark.
7. She isn’t old… to start driving.
Key: 1 too; 2 enough; 3 too; 4 too; 5 enough; 6 too; 7 enough.
Answer the questions.
1. Does the Internet help you with learning and doing your homework?
2. Have you joined any social networking site?
3. Do you post your photos?
4. How many hours a day do you spend on the computer?
Do ex. 5, p. 28.
Read the song, write down the sentences connected with using computers and add some of your own what you are going to do.