UNIT 8. SAVE YOUR PLANET!
MY FAVOURITE SEASON
Цілі: формувати навички побудови слова; удосконалювати навички усного мовлення з опорою на лексико-граматичні структури Present simple and Past simple; удосконалювати навички письма; розвивати увагу дітей та кмітливість; підвищувати загальну екологічну культуру.
The 12 months & 4 seasons bingo
Give your students “bingo” cards with 4 columns and 4 rows. Ask them to write the 12 months & 4 seasons. Then you take a bag and put the 12 months & 4 seasons into it, draw out the names individually and say: This season comes after spring. It’s the twelfth (last) month of the year. The pupils cross out the names they’ve
just heard. The pupil who has crossed all the names in a line (vertical or horizontal) shouts: “Bingo!” and wins.
Listen to the text and answer the questions.
The Earth Day
The tradition started in 1840s when Mr. Morton, a former journalist, moved with his family to Nebraska (a state in the USA). In Nebraska, there were vast prairies with few trees. Mr. G. Sterling Morton and his wife started planting trees and shrubs (small bushes). They explained how important it is for everyone. In 1872, the day of trees and shrubs planting, called Tree Day, was conducted for the first time. People of Nebraska planted one million trees then. Ten years later, Tree Day officially became a state holiday, celebrated on April 22, which was Mr. Morton’s birthday. Later tree Day became Earth Day and the focus changed to environmental protection.
1) When did the tradition to celebrate The Earth Day start?
2) Where did it start?
3) Who started this tradition?
4) How did they do it?
5) How was this holiday called at first?
do people celebrate the Earth Day nowadays?
1) What kind of weather do you like most of all? Why?
2) What is your favourite season (month)? Why?
3) What was the weather like yesterday?
4) What was the temperature?
5) Do you know what the weather forecast is for tomorrow?
Do Ex. 1, 2, p. 126.
5. Reading and speaking
Do Ex. 3, p. 126 and then tell the class about your favourite season according to the example.
6. Grammar practice
Explain the rule (p. 127) and do Ex. 4, p. 126.
Do Ex. 5, 6, p. 127.
Read the forecasts in different parts of the world and answer the questions.
Today: fine weather, plenty of sun, +14° Tuesday: sun and clouds, breezy, cooler, +12° Wednesday: sunny skies, +13°
Today: sun, few clouds, much nicer, +11
Tuesday: early shower then partly sunny, +12 Wednesday: some rain, a little cooler, +10°
Today: mainly sunny, few clouds late, +15° Tuesday: great weather, bright sunshine, +18° Wednesday: mostly sunny, +19°
Today: hot, blue skies, no rain, +28°
Tuesday: bright sunshine, dry, +28°
Wednesday: partly sunny, a bit cooler, +25°
Today: sun, risk late storm, +13° Tuesday: shower or storm again likely, +10° Wednesday: mostly cloudy, a bit warmer, +12°
Today: cool and breezy, maybe some rain, +19° Tuesday: partly cloudy, warmer, +21°
Wednesday: not bad, sun, clouds, +22°
Today: cold, strong wind, +5° Tuesday: partly sunny, more pleasant, +7° Wednesday: cloudy, a bit warmer, +9°
Today: hot, dry, plenty of sun, +29°
Tuesday: very warm sun, +32° Wednesday: sun, light winds, +30°
1) Where is the coldest weather?
2) Where is the hottest weather?
3) When is it breezy in New York?
4) When are there light winds in Cairo?
5) What is the weather like in Tokyo on Wednesday?
Answer the questions about the seasons in our country.
1) Which months are spring / summer / autumn / winter months?
2) When do most people have their main holidays?
3) What seasons or months do you associate with: flowers, falling lives, Carnival time, family gathering?
Do Ex. 6, p. 127