UNIT 6. IS THE EARTH IN DANGER?
Цілі: формувати лексичні навички й навички вимови; вдосконалювати навички читання й усного мовлення; розвивати мовну здогадку й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
1) What is a disaster?
2) Have you ever been in a disaster?
3) What are some different kinds of disasters?
4) What kind of disasters are common in your country?
Do ex. 1, p. 92.
Do ex. 2, p. 92.
> Practise your vocabulary.
Find the sentences with the new words in the text and translate them. Fill in the gaps with the new words on p. 93.
1) Zakarpattya suffers ___ floods.
2) Polluted water sources
are ___ to wildlife.
3) The storm ___ hundreds of houses.
4) The numbers of damaging insect species ____ to pesticide have multiplied from 160 to 450 since 1960.
5) A third of accidental deaths ___ in the home.
6) After the floods, contaminated water was a serious ___ to public he>
7) Unfortunately, the ___ of serious road accidents increases.
8) The drought could spell ___ for wildlife.
Do ex. 3, p. 94.
5. Listening and speaking
> Do the quiz.
1) Another word for a natural disaster is a natural ___.
2) When a natural disaster occurs, it’s often called an environmental ___. This happens when a bad situation evolves into a critical phase.
3) An __ is declared when unforeseen circumstances occur and require immediate action. For example, the president declared this after Hurricane Katrina hit the United States.
4) The Red Cross provides medical ____ when natural disasters strike. This group is made up of professionals and volunteers who try to help the people who are directly and indirectly affected by a natural disaster.
5) The people who outlive natural disasters, those who are not killed by the tragedies, are called the __.
C) relief workers
6) Unfortunately, many ___ are injured when a natural disaster strikes. These are the people who have been injured or killed as a direct result of the tragedy.
7) Many __ are trained beforehand in order to save those in need in a time of crisis. These people are sent out on various missions to help those who are in the middle of a natural disaster. They try to save people who are in dangerous situations by risking their own lives in the process.
8) Those, whether dead or alive, who cannot be found after a natural disaster strikes are called the ____. This means that they or their bodies can not be located.
Do ex. 4, p. 94.
Are there ways we can prepare ourselves in advance to cope with disasters?
Ex. 5, p. 95.