UNIT 6. AROUND THE WORLD
Цілі: формувати навички вживання артиклів з географічними назвами; удосконалювати навички усного мовлення й читання; розвивати мовну здогадку й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
Where are these places?
Complete the sentences. Ask pupils to do it as quickly as they can.
1) Columbus discovered ___. (America)
2) Hollywood is in ____. (California)
3) The Great Wall is in ____. (China)
4) Samba comes from ____. (Brazil)
5) Shakespeare lived in ____. (England)
6) In Australia the native people are aborigines, and in America they are called ____. (Indians)
7) Jack London
wrote a lot of stories about ____. (Alaska)
8) The capital of Ukraine is ____. (Kyiv)
9) The City of Angels is the nickname of ____. (Los Angeles)
10) The native people of Turkey are ____. (The Turkish)
Listen to the text and answer the questions.
The word quiz was invented by a Dublin theatre manager called Daly. In 1780, Daly had a bet that within 24 hours he could invent a word that would be on everyone’s lips the next day. He spent the whole night chalking QUIZ on every wall in the city. The next day the strange word was on everyone’s lips! What did it mean?
And so it has become to mean a ‘puzzling question’!
1) Who invented the word quiz?
2) When did he invented it?
3) Where was he from?
4) Why did he do it?
5) Where did he chalk the word?
6) How much time did it took him?
7) Did all the people say this word the next day?
8) What did it mean?
Match the words and their Ukrainian equivalents.
To have a bet
On everybody’s lips
В усіх на вустах
3. Speaking and writing
Using the map practise the new vocabulary the north, the south, the east, the west, in the centre.
1) Lviv is in the west of Ukraine.
2) Odesa is in the south of Ukraine.
3) Kharkiv is in the east of Ukraine.
4) Chornobyl is in the north of Ukraine.
5) Kyiv is in the centre of Ukraine.
Think of five places in your country. Write them in the correct places in this table.
Example: Alupka is a small town in the south of Ukraine.
Using the map, practise the names of different countries and cities from the dialogue (Ex. 4, p. 93) chorally and individually.
Read the dialogue and act it out.
Make up your own quiz. (Ex. 5, p. 93)
1) What is the longest river in Ukraine?
2) What is the highest mountain in Ukraine?
3) Where is the warmest place in Ukraine?
4) Can you get to the Atlantic Ocean from Ukraine by ship? How?
5) How many continents and oceans in the world?
Make up a quiz about Ukraine.