UNIT 8. DO YOU LIKE SPORTS?
SPORTS AROUND THE WORLD
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички читання, аудіювання й усного монологічного мовлення; розвивати пізнавальні інтереси учнів; виховувати інтерес до спортивних занять, а також загальну культуру учнів.
Do ex. 1, p. 140.
Do ex. 2, p. 140.
WHERE DO YOU PLAY FOOTBALL?
The question above could be answered with ‘pitch’ or ‘field’ depending on whether you are talking about European football or American football. Sports take place on / in all sorts of different areas.
Decide whether the sport is played on / in the following areas. Some of the words are used more than once: court, rink, table, course, field, ring, pitch, board,
track, ring, field, pool
Listen to the dialogue and do the task.
– OK, Kevin, I hear that you’re from Wales.
– Yes, I’m from Wales.
– And you’re really into rugby!
Yeah, I love rugby. Um, in Wales everybody plays rugby, in primary school, in junior high school we play rugby. When I was in high school everybody in my high school had to play rugby. All the boys had to play rugby. And it’s our national sport.
– OK. Uh, do you still play now?
– Ah, I played about five years ago. I played in Japan in Kobe. The club was called Kobe Regata club.
– And they were very strong. Yeah, but in this country you play on sand, but in
Wales you play on grass. It’s a lot easier to play rugby in Wales.
– Um, What’s the best thing about rugby?
– Ah, violence. Ah, it’s very good because you can run and you can hit somebody and you don’t go to jail for doing it so…it’s the same as if you’ve been to America, the same as American football. Uh, it’s very strong and when you practice you become stronger. You’re body becomes stronger and it’s just fun to play rugby.
– Have you ever broken a bone or.?
– I’ve broken my nose, I’ve had about ten stitches in my bottom lip. Ah, I’ve broken a finger. That’s not too bad. Many of my friends have broken their legs and knees and problems but not too bad for me.
– OK. Great. Thanks a lot Kevin.
– Thank you.
1) Does Kevin play now?
A) Yes, does
C) Not anymore
2) What’s the best thing about rugby?
A) The running
B) The teamwork
C) The violence
3) What sport is it similar to?
B) American Football
4) Where did he get stitches?
A) His leg
B) His ear
C) His lip
5) What has he broken?
A) His leg
B) His nose
C) His arm
Do ex. 3, p. 140.
Do ex. 4, p. 140.
7. Listening and writing
Do ex. 5, p. 140.
Do ex. 8, p. 141.
Do ex. 6, p. 141.
Ex. 7, p. 141.