Цілі: вдосконалювати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; вдосконалювати навички читання, аудіювання й усного монологічного мовлення; розвивати пізнавальні інтереси учнів; виховувати відповідальне ставлення до сім’ї, а також загальну культуру учнів.
Do ex. 1, p. 83.
Do ex. 2, p. 83.
Read the sentences and guess the meaning of the words in italic.
I felt really embarrassed when I couldn’t remember her name off the top of my head.
If you want to get ahead in life, you have to set clear goals.
Many young married couples don’t realize how challenging raising children can be until they have children of their own.
I can’t recall
a time when my parents argued in front of me and my brothers.
When people focus too much on their careers, they sometimes neglect their family’s needs.
Watching too much TV can be a big distraction from building a good relationship with children.
My dad never thought I would make something of my self because I didn’t graduate from a prestigious university, but I proved him wrong.
– make something of oneself (idiom): become successful in a career
– off the top of your head (idiom): think of something immediately without preparation
– get ahead (phrasal verb): become successful in the business world
– realize (verb): understand the importance of something
– recall (verb): remember something from the past
– focus on (verb): pay careful and direct attention to a particular person or thing
– distraction (noun): something that takes your attention away from another activity
4. Listening and speaking
What things can parents do to strengthen the relationship with
their children? Discuss your ideas. Then, talk about things parents do or say that damage or hurt the parent-child relationship.
Listen to the interview and answer the questions.
A HIKING FAMILY
My name’s Kevin Finer, and I’m originally from the state of Indiana in the United States. When I was 19 years old, I moved to Venezuela in South America, and later returned to the United States, where I attended Brigham Young University in the 1980s. I majored in Spanish education and TESOL, or teaching English as a second language. After graduating from college, my wife and I moved to Japan where we lived for eight years. Now, I work back in the States in Utah.
However, my greatest interests are my family. Years ago, I wanted to make something of myself in my profession… you know… get ahead in life. However, I realized that the most important things in life lived within the walls of my own home, and today, I try to put them first. My kids wouldn’t remember me for the work I did outside of the home; they would only recall the moments we spent together.
Therefore, I enjoy spending time with my family. I have four children, and we go hiking and camping together, usually in Utah. On our hikes, we often talk about life, and I tell stories or share personal experiences. When I do this, I can focus on the kids without the distractions of video games or the Internet. Telling stories sounds easy, but when you have to think of a new story on a hot, 12-kilometer hike through the desert, you have come up with ideas off the top of your head.
Now, this doesn’t mean we don’t have problems; all families face challenges in their lives, and our family is no exception. However, we try to talk openly about our problems, and we try to solve our problems together. Building a strong family takes time, but it is worth the effort.
1) Where did Kevin probably grow up?
A) in Indiana
B) in Venezuela
C) in Utah
2) What was his undergraduate major?
3) How many children does he have?
4) What does Kevin do on his hikes with his children?
A) He points out the wildlife and plants along the way.
B) He enjoys telling them stories about his life.
C) He teaches them how to survive in emergency situations.
5) What point does Kevin make about raising children?
A) Enroll kids into schools early to help them learn better.
B) Be consistent in the way you administer discipline in the home.
C) Talk with your kids about problems so they learn how to solve them.
Key: 1 a, 2 b, 3 c, 4 b, 5 c.
5. Vocabulary practice
1) Unfortunately, I can’t remember all of my grandchildren’s names…
2) His uncle tried to… of himself by going back to school and getting a university degree
3) I often… many fond memories of celebrating Christmas together as a family
4) Instead of… our energies on our careers, we should dedicate our lives to our families
D) off the top
Of my head
5) We often don’t… how important it is to spend time with children until it is too late
Key: 1 d, 2 a, 3 e, 4 c, 5 b.
Do ex. 6, p. 84.
Do ex. 7, p. 85.
Write a short essay about a successful family. What kind should it be in your opinion?