UNIT 3. WHY GO TO SCHOOL?
Many students dislike school, because they don’t get good marks, and pressed by other parents and by teachers or they don’t have friends at school. Others like school, they are going to get their education, and enjoy taking part in different school activities.
As for me school is not only a place of education. It is a place where I can develop my skills in different clubs. Besides at school I spend considerable time with my friends. That’s why I cannot imagine my life without school.
1. F. 2. T. 3. T. 4. F. 5.T. 6. T. 7. T.
1. Yes, I do (No, I don’t).
2. Yes, I do. My best friend hates Physics.
3. I am doing well in Literature, Ukrainian and English.
Yes, I’m pressed by my parents.
5. I have many friends.
6. They get from 7 to 11 in most subjects. In English their grades are better.
7. I use the Internet. It provides different information and I send e-mails to friends.
8. The Internet can help in your study. For my last project about pollution of water I’ve got information from the Internet.
9. As for me I take part in musical performances and my best friend likes volleyball.
10. I like PT lessons, running, jumping, gymnastics, and sport competitions are mv hobby.
1. State school
2. Private school
3. Nursery school
4. Primary school
5. Secondary school
6. Boarding school
7. Head teacher
1. You must learn this poem.
2. We must study the map before we start our journey.
3. She learns to be a doctor by watching the work of her more experienced colleagues.
4. Many learns to swim.
5. We soon learn to do as we were told in Mr. Hughes’ class!
6. Mike studies
medicine at college because he wants to be a doctor.
7. I’m trying to learn Spanish.
8. I learned to ride a bike when I was five.
If you drop that plate, it will break into a million pieces.
If he doesn’t know the answer, he can find the answer for you. If you are hungry, you can get something to eat.
If you call them now, you can tell them you’ll be late.
If Carla doesn’t study, she probably will fail the exam.
If I give you my number, you can call me tomorrow.
If you don’t want to read it, I’ll throw the magazine away.
If you are hurry, you can still get the early train.
If she arrives late, she will miss the opening ceremony.
1. If I don’t get into university I’ll be a security.
2. I’ll have a big party if I have enough money.
3. If I pass my exams well I’ll enter the university.
4. We won’t get a plane if you don’t hurry.
5. If I get my first salary I’ll buy a gift for my parents.
6. You’ll fail the exam if you won’t enter the university.
7. He’ll be late for work if he gets up later.
1. If there are more TV programmes about science, people will know more about it.
2. If other intelligent beings inhabit the Universe, they will be very different from us.
3. If there is life on other planets, we won’t be alone.
4. If the world’s population continue to increase, we will need more feed.
1. Will you call me if I give you my number?
2. Do you mind if I borrow your dictionary?
3. I’ll get hungry if I don’t eat anything.
4. The food spoils if the fridge is turned off.
5. Is it OK if I take your bike to the store?
6. Will they read this magazine if I can leave it?
7. The ground gets wet if it rains.
1. If Albert can repair his bicycle, he’ll go cycling.
2. Ben will come to school by bus if he is late.
3. You will not see the square if you look out of the window.
4. We’ll see old things if the history museum is open.
5. Mary will not go to the theatre if she cannot get a ticket.
1. If he goes on telling lies, nobody will believe a word he says.
2. If he likes the house, will he buy it?
3. If you come late, they do not let you in.
4. He’ll be late for the train if he does not start at once.
5. If you put on the kettle I’ll make the tea.
6. If he is late we’ll go without him.
7. I’ll be very angry if he makes any more mistakes.
1. a) 5 – 6
2. c) infant schools
3. b) 11
4. c) 16
5. a) take “A” level exams
1. Primary education includes infant schools and junior schools.
2. Compulsory secondary education starts at the age of 11-12 and lasts 5 years.
3. Most British children get their secondary education at comprehensive school.
4. Many pupils at the age of 16 leave school and go to a college to choose more practical courses.
5. Pupils who decide to enter a university should pass Advanced level exams.
6. Secondary education is available to all children in Britain.
7. Only less than 5 % go to public schools.
8. Private schools where 13 – 19 years olds study are called independent schools.
9. The schools where pupils live and study are called boarding schools.
10. Many people believe that children should have equal opportunities at the start.
Secondary education is free and compulsory. General educational schools have three stages: primary, basic and senior.
Elementary school is compulsory in Ukraine.
At the age of 6 children start going to school in our county.
There are primary, basic and senior schools and there are also new types of schools like gymnasiums, lyceums and private schools for gifted children. An important role has the educational training schools. Post-secondary is provided by technical schools and colleges training young specialist and institutions of higher learning: universities, academics and institutes.
Children stude Math, Physics, Chemistry, the Ukrainian, the Russian and the English languages, Ukrainian and World Literatures, History, Geography, Biology, Art, Music. PT and others.
What does your classroom look like? Would you like to change anything about your class? – Our classroom is small, but light. There are new 8 desks and 16 chairs, a black-board, one teacher’s table and a chair. As for as our classroom is specialized one there is a good equipment for studying English with computer equipment and different table on the walls. I don’t want to change any think about our class. There are a lot of flowers on windowsills.
My favorite subject is English. I think it very much depends on the teacher. She is very tactful and patient. We never see her face angry or unfriendly and she is a very good professional. I think it is useful to know English because it is international language. When I come home I have dinner, then I rest a little. Sometimes I talk to my friends over the telephone. After that I start preparing for lessons. I do not often forget to do my homework. I am neither hard-working nor lazy student.
Have you ever been late for school? When? Why? What happened? – No, I haven’t. I live not far from my school.
I don’t like to be a teacher because I think it is very hard to teach children and communicate with their parents.
We have an opportunity to take part in dramatic, sport and art chubs. As far as I like basketball I participate in school and interschool sports competitions.
1. I started school at the age of 7.
2. It was general educational school.
3. I have never changed school.
4. I’m going to take Math, History. Ukrainian and English.
5. As the most of friends and classmates I am going to enter the university or some other higher educational institution.
USE YOUR ENGLISH
1. She won’t start primary school if she isn’t four years old (e)
2. She won’t pass her exams if she doesn’t learn hard (d)
3. I’ll have to go to a new school I pass my “A” level exams (0
4. If I get home I’ll do any homework at once (c)
5. I think I’ll go on holiday if I finish my exams (a)
6. Her parents will get her a present if she gets good marks (b)
1. b) opportunities
2. c) elementary
3. a) secondary
4. c) takes a test
5. b) do well
6. c) does well
7. a) education
8. b) advanced
9. b) school
10. b) available
11. b) secondary
12. b) take
13. c) need help
Art, Music, FT, Math, Reading
Reading, Writing, Literature, Ukrainian, English, Russian, Maths, Nature, Art, Music, FT, Labour Training
First grade second grade third grade fourth grade
Literature, Math, History, Geography, Botany, Biology. FT, Labour Training, Music, Physics, English, Russian, Ukrainian, Art, Music
Basic school (compulsory)
Fifth grade sixth grade seventh grade
Eighth grade ninth grade
Ex.4 p. 47
1. I’ve been studying English for 9 years.
2. We learnt to read, write and speak English. After our teacher had explained us new expressions and words we wrote down new words into our vocabularies. We retold texts, asked and answered questions, made up dialogues. We wrote grammar tests, dictations and compositions.
3. I got on well with everybody.
4. I have tried learning German. It was successfully. I can speak
5. My best language teacher I’ve ever had is my teacher of German.
(1) B So most things are published in English, and if you want to keep up with the latest ideas in any subject, you need English.
(2) I) There are courses in General English, Technical English, Business English and so on.
(3) A In particular, you should try to talk to other students from your own county who have been to a language school to find out what you should expect.
(4) C This is a good opportunity to improve your English and to learn a lot about everyday life.
1. If they offer accommodation with an English family I’ll attend Lawton College.
2. I’ll prefer Bristow College if they organize visits to places of interest.
3. If they provide extra classes in English for Business I’ll choose Shepton College.
4. I’ll apply to Frampton College if they arrange accommodation in student hostels.
A – 2
B – 5
C – 4
D – 1
22 April, 2013
I am writing to apply to the course in Daunston College for full-
Time summer school in August.
I am 22 years old. I’ve graduated from Kharkiv National University and have got Barchelor degree in Management, f want to improve my knowledge of English, because I need it for studying as a postgraduate student. I’m clearly realized that in order to get a good job one should know English. It is the language of communication, business, science and culture. I think English is worth studying. I am sure every well-educated person should speak English. I want to pass TOEFL test and hold a certificate for good points.
I look forward to receiving your response.
CHECK YOUR SKILLS
1. I’ll help you tomorrow if you still need to help.
2. If my parents do not work on Saturday, we all will go skiing.
3. If the weather is fine next weekend, we’ll go to the country.
4. I’ll always help you this year if you need to help.
5. Granny sometimes will not hear if little Eddie calls her.
Ex. З р.52
Yes, I can read and understand about education.
Yes, I can listen and understand about schools.
Yes, I can talk about school life.
Yes, I can ask for opinions about educational systems, agree or disagree with them.
Yes, I can express your own opinions about schooling.
Yes, I can write an application letter for the course study.