Цілі: формувати навички вживання a little/a few; вдосконалювати навички усного мовлення, аудіювання й читання; вдосконалювати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; виховувати доброзичливе ставлення до співрозмовника.
Answer the questions.
1. What is food for many people?
2. What do you think about fast food? Is it useful?
3. How do you feel about eating meat?
4. Do you think that food nowadays is safe?
5. How important is cooking and eating food for you?
6. Do you prefer cooking for friends at home or going to the restaurant?
Match the opposites and give Ukrainian equivalents.
1) dry wine
A) stale bread
B) tender meat
3) a heavy meal
C) a thick soup
4) tough meat
D) overcooked vegetables
5) a well-done steak
E) hard drinks
6) undercooked vegetables
F) raw fish
7) cooked fish
G) a light meal
8) a clear soup
H) sweet wine
9) soft drinks
I) a rare steak
Listen to the text and do the task.
One day a gentleman wanted to see Sir Isaac Newton just before dinner time. Newton was busy and worked in his study. The visitor sat down in the diningroom and waited for Newton. Soon the servant brought in Newton’s dinner. It was a chicken in a covered dish. An hour passed and Newton didn’t come. The gentleman began to feel hungry. He lifted the cover, saw
the chicken and began to eat. Then he covered the dish and told the servant to boil another chicken. But before the second chicken was ready, Newton went in to have his dinner. Seeing the gentleman Newton said: “I beg your pardon, sir, but allow me to have my dinner first, as I’m hungry”. Then he lifted the cover, but finding the dish empty, he said: “Oh, I remember, I had my dinner already”.
Say if the following statements true or false.
1. It was dinner time.
2. A young lady visited Newton before it.
3. Newton had already had his dinner before.
4. The servant had cooked chicken soup with vegetables.
5. The visitor was invited by Newton to share the dinner with him.
6. The servant was asked to boil one more chicken.
7. There was no chicken on the dish when Newton saw it.
Do ex. 1, p. 74.
List the items under A FEW or A LITTLE below.
Tickets, glass of water, bread, milk, homework, pencils, friends, coffee, cash, coins, sugar, spoon of sugar, people, hours, milk, problems, hair, plate of food, food, relatives, books, tea, juice, children.
Do ex. 2, p. 74.
Do ex. 3, p. 75.
8. Grammar practice
Complete the sentences with a little or a few.
1. I’ve got… money. Let’s have coffee.
2. I’ve got… stamps that you can use.
3. I’ve got… time. Do you want to talk?
4. She can speak… Spanish.
5. I write… letters every week.
6. We had… rain last night.
7. They made… mistakes, but it was OK.
8. Let’s go outside for… fresh air.
9. There are… new hotels since you last visited.
Key: 1 a little; 2 a few; 3 a little; 4 a little; 5 a few; 6 a little; 7 a few; 8 a little; 9 a few.
Work in pairs
Using the questions below make up your dialogues.
1. How many brothers / sisters do you have?
2. How many relatives do you have?
3. How much money does gas cost?
4. How many hours do you sleep?
5. How many books do you read in a year?
6. How many close friends do you have?
7. How many hours do you study?
8. How much fruit do you eat?
9. How many vegetables do you have for dinner?
Do ex. 4, p. 75.