LESSONS 9-1 Learn to talk about your grandparents
How old is…?
1. Look and say what these children’s grandparents are busy doing.
Example: The boy’s granddad is carving a horse.
2. Listen and repeat.
– Little Polly, little Polly,
Where are you going?
– I’m going to see my grandma.
She is fond of sewing.
– Little Polly, little Polly
How old is your grandma?
– She is just sixty,
And I am fast growing.
3. Look, match and say how old Polly’s and your relatives are (p. 18).
Example: Polly’s mum is thirty-two and my mum is…
4. Listen and role-play.
Paul: Hi, Polly! Where are you going?
Polly: I’m going to my grandma. I want to help her.
Paul: What is she busy doing?
Polly: She is sewing a new dress for me. I’m fast growing, you know.
Paul: Really? And how old is she?
Polly: She is just sixty and my granddad is seventy-two.
But they are full of life and energy.
Good for them!
She is busy cooking.
5. Talk with a friend about your grandparents. Use:
On your own: Take your grandparents’ photos and write how old they are and what they are busy doing.
Example:This is my granddad. He is sixty – four. He is busy carving horses.
6. Look and guess how Polly helps her grandparents.
Example: I think Polly helps her grandma.
7. Read and say why Polly likes to visit her grandparents.
ABOUT MY GRANDPARENTS
My name is Polly. I live with my parents in Liverpool. I often visit my grandparents who live nearby. My grandma is just sixty and my granddad is seventy-two, but they are full of life and energy. They are always busy cooking, cleaning, sewing or carving.
I like to help them. Sometimes I go shopping with my granddad or cook with my grandma. We have a good time together.
I love my grandparents dearly.
8. True or False?
1. Polly’s grandparents live in Liverpool.
2. Polly’s grandparents are over seventy.
3. Polly goes shopping with her grandma.
4. Polly’s grandparents are busy gardening.
5. Polly doesn’t like cooking.
9. Talk with friends about your grandparents. Use:
My grandparents live… .
My grandma is just… .
My granddad is… .
But they are full of… .
They are busy… .
My grandma likes… .
My granddad is fond of… .
I love… dearly.
10. Write about your grandparents in your family album. Answer these questions.
1. Where do your grandparents live?
2. How old are they?
3. Are they full of life and energy?
4. What are they busy doing?
5. How often do you visit them?
Do it yourself! Make the grandparents’ page for your family album.