UNIT 1. PEOPLE AND RELATIONSHIP
HE USED TO BE LAZY
Цілі: формувати навички вживання used to, навички вимови; вдосконалювати навички усного мовлення, читання й письма; розвивати культуру спілкування й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
1) What images spring to mind when you hear the word ‘personality’?
2) How would you describe your personality?
3) Are you happy with your personality?
4) How has your personality changed over the years?
5) What or who has helped shape your personality?
6) What of your personality traits do you like most?
2. Writing and speaking
> Work in pairs.
What is your image of the ideal partner? Record
your own opinion focusing on such factors as appearance, personality, character, and interests. Share your recording with another student and have them respond to your opinion.
3. Grammar practice
Divide the board into two sides:
Place of work
Means of transport
He won a lot of money, lottery ticket:
His own office car
Example: Kevin used to be a postman, and now he is a businessman.
Do ex. 1, 2, p. 8.
5. Grammar practice
Do ex. 3, p. 9.
1) I used to eat a lot of chocolate
A) now he drives
2) Paul used to work in London but
B) where they wore a uniform
He used to take the train to work but
C) I often used to go to the theatre
4) when I was younger, I didn’t use to eat cheese but
D) when we were children
5) When I lived in the city,
E) but now I’m on diet
6) They used to go to a very traditional school
F) now he drives a very boring family car
7) I used to really enjoy his company but
G) now he works in Cardiff
8) She used to play the piano but
H) now I eat a lot
9) We used to go to the beach for our holidays
I) now she plays the guitar
10) he used to have a motorbike but
J) now I find him a bit boring
Key: 1 e; 2 g; 3 a; 4 h; 5 c; 6 b; 7 j; 8 i; 9 d; 10 f.
Do ex. 5, p. 9.
Listen to the song and write down all the expressions with used to.
You used to talk to me like
I was the only one around
You used to lean on me
The only other choice was falling down
You used to walk with me like
We had no where we needed to go
Nice and slow
To no place in particular
We used to have this figured out
We used to breathe without a doubt
When nights were clear you were the first star that I’d see
We used to have this under control
We never thought we used to know
At least there’s you
And at least there’s me
Can we get this back?
Can we get this back?
To how it used to be
I used to reach for you
I got lost along the way
I used to listen
You always had the just right thing to say
I used to follow you
Never really cared where we would go
Fast or slow
To anywhere at all
I look around me
And I want you to be there
Cause I miss the things that we shared
Look around you
It’s empty and you’re sad
Don’t you miss the love that we had?
Do ex. 6, p. 9.
Ex. 4, p. 9.