Цілі: вдосконалювати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; навички читання й усного мовлення; розвивати мовну здогадку й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
Complete the sentences.
1. A movie that makes you scream is a… .
2. A movie that is exciting with lots of guns and explosions is an… movie.
3. Movies about the future or space are known as… films.
4. A movie about real life is a… .
5. An… film has cartoon characters.
6. A film about lots of travelling and exciting or dangerous events is… .
7. A film about love is… .
8. A movie that makes you laugh is a… .
2. Vocabulary practice
Match the words.
width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
D) science fiction
Key: 1 c; 2 f; 3 h; 4 a; 5 g; 6 d; 7 b; 8 e.
3. Grammar practice
Explain the relative clause rule (p. 145) and make up sentences with the pairs of words above.
1. A western is a film which shows the lives of cowboys.
2. A horror movie is a film in which you can see frightening monsters.
3. In a romance we usually watch people who kiss a lot.
4. A comedy is a film which makes us laugh a lit.
5. Films about brave people who travel around and explore unknown lands are called
6. Science fiction films usually tell us stories about unknown planets where aliens come from.
7. Fantasy is a magic world where wizards, fairies and elves live.
8. An action film has a lot of exciting scenes in which there are a lot of fights, chases, and explosions.
Do ex. 1, 2, p. 143.
Do ex. 3, p. 144.
Different film genres:
– an action film, a documentary, a science fiction film, a musical, an adventure film.
Words to describe characters:
– shy, superhero with special powers, curious, lonely, brilliant, good looking, terrible.
Words to describe films:
– enjoyable, spectacular special effects, excellent stunts, brilliant, moving, can make cry, fascinating, really funny, a bit weak, catchy music, convincing, confusing, a bit long.
Do ex. 4, p. 145.
Listen to the dialogue and do the task.
Peter. Hey, Trish, how about going to the cinema tonight?
Trіsh. Sounds great! What would you like to see?
Peter. I don’t know… how about that new horror movie at the Panorama Cinema?
Trish. Oh, I heard about that. It sounds a little scary to me. I’m keen on romantic movies. Or maybe a romantic comedy.
Peter. No way! I hate such boring things!
Trish. Really? Well then, what kinds of movies do you like?
Peter. I guess I’m crazy about action and adventure type of movies.
Trish. Well I guess they are okay, if they aren’t too bloody. I also heard about this great new musical that just came out. What do you think about that?
Peter. Musical? I don’t know. That doesn’t sound too exciting. Is there anything we can agree on?
Trish. It doesn’t seem like it. Oh, I remember another movie that came out last week. It’s a mystery and it had a little romance and some action, too. I heard it’s pretty exciting because nobody can guess who the killer is and it has a surprise ending. What do you think about that one?
Peter. I guess that doesn’t sound too bad. What time does it start?
Say if the following statements true or false.
1. Trish really hates action and adventure movies.
2. Peter likes movies about love.
3. A horror movie is frightening.
4. Trish likes musicals.
5. Action and adventure movies are not Peter’s favourite film genres.
6. A new mystery movie came out yesterday.
7. Peter and Trish both like mysteries.
Key: 1 F; 2 F; З T; 4 T; 5 F; 6 F; 7 T.
Answer the guestion.
1. What kinds of movies are popular in our country?
2. What do the popular movies in our country show about our culture?
Do ex. 4 (part 2), p. 145.